Posted on 08. Nov, 2011 by in View Install Guide.

Setting up the View 5 Event Database

One of the screens I find myself spending a lot of time in, especially when troubleshooting View 5 issues is the Events Monitoring Screen.  Unfortunately it’s not created for you as part of the View 5 install.  Instead, you have to realize its not created, and then go about creating it and logging the issues.  Again, the unfortunate part of this process is you rarely realize you need this, or that its not logging, until you actually need to troubleshoot something !!  DOH!!  This is a quick blog on everything you need to setup your View 5 Events database.

By the way, this blog part is in addition to the original blog post on “How to install, configure and deploy VMware View 5 on vSphere 5”

My recommendation is to setup a separate View 5 Events Database in your SQL 2008 R2 instance we setup as part of the original View 5 install guide.  I’ll take you through the short process of setting up the new database, and then how to get it added into your View 5 Configuration and then we can test to make sure everything is logging correctly.

1. First things first, lets RDP into our SQL 2008 R2 Server and setup a new Database.

2 - Start - Programs - Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 - SQL Server Management Studio

2. Lets connect into our Database.

3 - connect into the SQL

3. Right click on Database and select “New Database”

4 - right click on Database - and create a new Database

4. I’m using View5EventDB for the database name.

5 - Create the View5EventDB Database

5. Let’s click on Options – and change Recovery Mode to Simple and then click okay and we are done !!

6 - click on Options and change the Recovery Model to Simple

6. Just to double check, lets verify our new database is setup.

7 - Database is now created !!

Now, lets head over to our View 5 Admin page and setup event monitoring.

1. Click On Event Configuration in the dashboard (under View Configuration)

20 - Click on Event Configuration

2. Click on Edit and enter in the info we used to setup our database – then click OK.

10 - log into View Manager - click on View COnfiguration - Event Configuration and Click Add

3. Your Event Configuration page should look like this:

21 - verify everything is correct

4. Now lets go see if we are collecting information.  Go to Monitoring and click on Events.  Go ahead and log into a desktop to kick off some events.

15 - now click on Monitoring - Events and after a few minutes you will start to see events get logged into it

5. Once you click on Events – you should see information populating.  In this case, I just logged into a virtual desktop and that logged some info.

22 - verifying that events are being logged

There ya go – Easy Peasy !!

@vTexan

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Email Snailmail

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Setting up the View 5 Event Database”

1. Renato Nodarse says:

Perhaps obvious but just in case:

in SQL Management Studio:
    go to the Logins, and select “view5service”, properties
    in the User Mappings section, check the View5EventDB and check below the db_owner role.

🙂

2. Brian says:

I noticed there was no mention of the TCP settings for SQL.
    It’s detailed here

Basically you have to sett the TCP settings of SQL to port 1433 and not Dynamic. I was pulling may hair out on this one. Events wouldn’t work until I changed the ALL IPs Setting to port 1433 and blanked out the Dynamic number.

3. Aie Di says:

Hi vTexan!

I was wondering of you have setup for 5.1 Event Database? I tried doing the above mentioned steps, I’m pretty sure I did the right thing however it still does not connect, I tried also Installing SQL Server on the same Machine where View Manager resides but it still does not connect. Ports for 1433 is already allowed though, but still I can’t get access on the database I created even if its on the same machine. I would also like to know if the VDI on the Table Prefix spot is needed to configure on the database? If so I might be lacking that one. And would be needing your help on how can I configure that. 🙂 Thank you so much and will be looking for your response.

4. Chaim says:

Hi vTexan,

What do you do if you actually need to review the Events Database? The database has better logging than the text log files (according to VMware documentation). I am by no means an SQL expert. What do I have to do to actually query the database easily and without an SQL expert?

5. Alexander says:

Dont working!
    The error is “incorrect username” when iam trying to coonect via View Admin Console.
    What a user “view5service” in text above??

6. andrew0349 says:

Hallo,

I had very big exhausting experience with this problem. Every step was taken, nothing left out, to run the database properly. So in my case it was:
    I got a certificate from my sysadmin without private key! I installed it and it seemed ok. Then I tried to configure the database and it went wrong. Numerous days and hours and nothing until:
    I ran mmc and added the certificate add-in and went to Certificates/Personal/Certificates and right click on my installed certificate and disabled for all intended purposes.

What a surprise after I restarted the service and tried to add the DB. It smoothly connected.

But be careful “ODBC connection is not same as direct connection”. I had no problems with ODBC but with the direct connection. In this case it was Horizon View 6.0.1 Connection Server which needed this direct connection.

Best regards,